Sunday, September 28, 2008

Freshers Week at Northumbria

This past week commenced Freshers week at Northumbria which is equivalent to orientation week anywhere else. There were so many more people on campus and this was only the freshmen. In total there are around 30,000 "undergrads" that go to Norhthumbria. I put undergrads in quotes because the English system doesn't really have undergraduate degrees as they don't believe in a liberal arts education so they are all here on some sort of specialized program for their desired profession. Next week classes start for Norhtumbria, which is only ironic because our midterms start a week from Monday!

This week, every corner we turned there was another club offering a free membership in exchange for your email address and a free bag with goodies inside. Walking towards class at lunch time we saw this giant Carona bottle handing out limes with the name of some club and I just had to take a picture. This is my friend next to the giant bottle:

During another lunch outing this week I spotted a fluroescent bike, and when I got a little closer I noticed that it was a police warning to not steal people bikes. Luckily I'm deathly afraid to ride a bike here because you have to follow the traffic laws meaning you are biking on the "wrong" side of the street. I'm not really sure how much good a locked up bike with the word warning does to stop people from stealing but nevertheless it's what they do.

As I've mentioned before I wake up early to go to the gym, and recently it has been pitch black when I wake up. Around 15 minutes after I wake up the sun begins to rise and the other morning I caught a picture of a gorgeous sunrise right outside my window.


This coming week is lighter class wise, but that's only because we'll be studying for midterms for the majority of the weeks. I only have 3 midterms to study for, and unlike the unified they are all on seperate days which is really nice. Friday is my birthday, and unlike any other birthday I have repeadtly forgotten about it due to the shear amount of other things I've been thinking about. Therefore, I will not be celebrating on Friday as midterms are on Monday the celebration will have to be postponed.

1 comment:

Rachel Shapiro said...

Allie the sunset is amazing! Wishing you a Happy New Year, sorry I can be with you on your B-day. Your real Birthday is Monday night "Jewish Birthday" My New Year Baby! Sending Lot of hugs and kisses! Also check the balance on your account. . . Happy Birthday! Love Mum aka Mommie